Grue Mod for Minecraft 1.11.2/1.10.2
There are few mods which have the same potential as the Grue Mod for making Minecraft into a more terrifying game. This is because the Grue, a monster which actually has a long history dating back to the Zork games of the 80s, is a pretty scary fellow. It is immune to your attacks, it deals enough damage to kill you in a hit or two even with full diamond armor, and it won’t stop following you until either it or you have died, making it one tenacious baddy. Fortunately, there is a way to kill the thing even if you can’t technically hurt it.
Basically, the Grue monster will only spawn close to the player – close as in within the same chunk where the player is standing at any given time. It needs a low light level to spawn, 2 or less, so it won’t appear except in the darkest of corners and caves. Once the conditions have been satisfied for it to spawn, though, multiple Grues will keep spawning until the player gets out of the area or kills them. As for beating the Grue, you simply need to elevate the light level around you to 3 or more. This will cause the Grue to explode into a cloud of smoke and disappear.
Sadly, even though this kills the Grue, you won’t be getting any drops from the beast. Also, because those dark corners can exist literally anywhere, even the basement of your home might not be safe with the Grue Mod installed. If you’re already used to avoiding dark spaces than this mod probably won’t make Minecraft any harder for you. Other players will probably get a good scare the first time they try to keep mining after running out of torches thanks to the unexpected Grue lurking in the dark.
Grue Mod Changelogs
Grue Mod for Minecraft 1.11 and 1.10.2
- Reduced the amount of times the Grue spawning sound is played
- Added a config option to set the height above ground at which you’re considered airborne (so Grues no longer spawn in mid-air)
- The Dimension Whitelist should now work correctly when more than a single dimension is whitelisted
- Min and max and default values for numerical config options are now provided in the comments (in favor of those not using the config GUI)
Grue Mod for Minecraft 1.8.9 and 1.7.10
- Grues no longer spawn in deep water (like ocean floors) at low light levels
- The spawn timer for the Grue is now configurable (can change spawn frequency from 10 to 30 seconds)
- Added wimp-mode, which reduces the Grue’s damage to 3 hearts
How to install Grue Mod?
- Download and install the recommended Minecraft Forge for your Minecraft version.
- Download the latest mod version for your Minecraft version.
- Put the .jar file into the mods folder of your Minecraft installation.
Download Links for Grue Mod
for Minecraft 1.11 / 1.11.2
for Minecraft 1.10.2 / 1.9.4
for Minecraft 1.9
for Minecraft 1.8.9
for Minecraft 1.7.10
Credit: Shinoow – Original Thread on Curse